Concern for the have nots

"Whatever you think people are withholding from you -- praise, appreciation, assistance, loving care, and so on -- give it to them.  You don't have it?  Just act as if you had it, and it will come.  Then, soon after you start giving, you will start receiving.  You cannot receive what you don't give.  Outflow determines inflow.  

Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you already have, but unless you allow it to flow out, you won't even know that you have it.  This includes abundance.  The law that ourflow determines inflow is expressed by Jesus in this powerful image: "Give and it will be given to you.  Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap." 

The source of all abundance is not outside you.  It is part of who you are... Both abundance and scarcity are inner states that manifest as your reality.  Jesus puts it like this: "For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." -- Eckhart Tolle, from A New Earth

And again I find myself thinking, mightn't there be situations where this is NOT true?  Aren't there relationships, jobs, situations where one person pours out and receives nothing in return?  How do we know when the fault is ours and when it is not, and time to extricate ourselves?

I haven't been in one of those situations in years, but I remember how it felt, how much of myself I poured in, and how hard it was to finally separate myself from that.  And I see how difficult situations like that are for others.  So some part of me rebels when I see this sort of "not getting enough? Give more!" advice. 

On the other hand, in both of the situations I'm remembering the root of the problem was my tendency to undervalue myself.  And the fact is, when I continued to give, it eventually became clear, even to me, that I was worth more than I was getting in return.  And it was that awareness that allowed me to extricate myself.  So perhaps this IS good advice?

Still -- some part of me worries: are we blaming the victim here?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © visionprimordial. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Click Bank Engine.