Balancing the dry spells

I've probably mentioned this before, but back when I lived on Orcas Island I used to sing in a group called Those Guys from Orcas.

This picture reminds me of a song we used to sing, something that had been performed by an old group called "Sons of the Pioneers," entitled "Cool Water."


"All day I've faced a barren waste
Without the taste of water, cool water
Old Dan and I with throats burned dry
And souls that cry for water
Cool, clear, water
."

This image -- and the song -- bring to mind the sense of clarity I associate with "things being right" -- those times when I feel in tune with God, the earth, my family, my body; when I've been eating well, exercising lightly, meditating regularly and smiling a lot.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older or because I'm more attuned to things, but it seems to me that when things get to feeling a little dry I can fine tune myself back into this state by stepping outside, or breathing deeply, or holding a cat, or smelling certain perfumes, or hugging my husband.

Back when our girls were little, my husband would notice when I was getting a little dry and take us on a ferry ride; it always seemed to help -- and still does.  Creating art, having coffee with a friend, taking a walk, looking at a stained glass window -- any number of things can bring me back to that clear state, so I try to make space for those things to balance the inevitable dry spells.

What sorts of things create that sense of clarity for you?  And are you making time for them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © visionprimordial. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Click Bank Engine.