Take yourself on an art date!

I woke up empty this morning.  I did all the usual stuff -- coffee, reading, even a nice long meditation (though I confess I spent much of the time musing on the various elements of last night's concluding episode of Downton Abbey!)

But when I sat down at the computer, I couldn't find an image I wanted to post, and I couldn't create one, either.  So I decided it was time to get out of the house.  Fortunately no one needed my car today, so I took myself to beautiful Port Townsend -- always a great pick-me-up. 

I drove by what looked like an intriguing art store, thinking I might stop there on the way back out of town, but after a block or two I decided to go back and check it out; it was fabulous, and huge; filled with everything an aching artist could ever want to try or play with.  So I bought a book about collage (not for the technique, but for all the inspiring examples) and a 6 x 12 artist panel to play with.

Next I stopped at the boat yard and found this heart-stoppingly beautiful hull in the process of being overhauled.  These colors are unretouched; aren't they absolutely GORGEOUS?  I'll be playing with this theme for a few days, I suspect...  I also visited a couple of favorite clothing stores and a gallery, and then headed home feeling just full of color and light; it was just the break I needed on a gray winter day!

I came home to find a reminder that there are two play contests running right now for 10 minute plays, so I've decided to try my hand at playwriting again, just for the heck of it.  That's how much my tank is overflowing from this little excursion!

So the lesson for today is this: if you're feeling a little empty and jaded, follow Julia Cameron's advice in the Artist's Way: take yourself on an art date -- you'll be glad you did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © visionprimordial. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Click Bank Engine.